Monday, November 29, 2010

DOGGIE DREAMIN'
It's late Fall rapidly approaching early Winter; these shorter days are just perfect for long afternoon naps. And what does this Dalmatian dream about? He dreams about snow, a good hard blow that leaves the earth covered with the heavenly white powder. It has snowed twice so far this year and both incidences were totally unacceptable. Halloween was a wet miserable snow that only looked pretty in the sky. As soon as it hit the ground it became slosh and mud and then quickly disappeared. November 26th there was a somewhat decent display of those frozen white flakes and I enjoyed looking up at the sky and catching a few on my tongue and in my beautiful white eyelashes. But, again, the ground was too warm and we were mired in instant mud. What a pleasure to awaken the morning of November 27th. It was really snowing and blowing. I couldn't wait to get outside. I herded daddy Thom through the house and out the door where I promptly slid across the ice on the deck. Oh, what fun. We went to the tennis courts and I got to romp and frolic for a good long time. It was great. I was happy. Sadly, by mid-afternoon my beautiful white world had all but vanished.
So - the dreaming continues in earnest. I want the real stuff. I want it deep enough to burrow into the drifts headfirst. I want it powdery enough that I can kick up a sparkly white spray as I charge about the yard. It will happen. It is coming. I know this for sure. After all I live in Downeast Maine by the sea where snow and ice in the winter are givens. Since it is a bit late in arriving this year I shall just have to remember last year and keep on dreaming just a little while longer. Any day now I will awaken from the dream to the reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment